Choosing siding metal, metal roofing, or a pole barn is a fantastic way to save yourself lots of time and money. Metal pole barns are highly durable, are long lasting, and require less maintenance than traditional buildings. However, even though the maintenance is significantly limited, this does not mean you will not have to perform yearly siding metal and roofing metal care. Here are some of the most important things you’ll need to consider when getting post frame metal siding and roofing:
Steps to Maintain your Metal Siding
- Check the surrounding area for anything that might be leaning on the metal or has the potential to cause damage, like overhanging branches.
- Check your AC unit, kitchen, and any other areas or appliances that may be prone to corroding. Corrosion can wear the paint on your siding metal.
- Check for fading paint and scratches. If there are any, check to see if the metal is still in warranty.
- Inspect any exposed fasteners on your roof. Check if they’re too tight or loose, and are properly sealed.
- If there is more than one type of metal touching your siding metal, make sure they work together. Some metal when in close contact with one another can corrode each other.
- Dispose of any fallen debris on or around the building.
- Wash your building with a low pressure hose every 2 to 5 years. DO NOT use a pressure washer, as this can damage the metal.
Steps to Maintaining a Metal Roof
- Always have a quality ladder
- Wear protective equipment
- Always have someone there if you need help, or in case of an emergency when working on a roof.
- Use shoes with soft soles
- Do not step on flashings, gutters, or eaves.
- Remove all debris from gutters
- Trim any overhanging tree branches
- Check for holes, leaks, and faded paint.
- Inspect panels and flashings to make sure they are not loose.
- Inspect the seams and edges to ensure they are sealed.
- Check for rust
- Avoid staying on the roof for extended periods of time
- Inspect any chimneys or vents for damage.
Looking for metal building options? Choose UCOA Metals.
UCOA buyers groups has one of the largest metal networks in the United States, and access to the most exclusive metal manufacturers in the industry. To learn more about the incredible benefits of working with UCOA metals, feel free to contact us, or find us on Facebook.